Over the last 100 years, technological advancements have been truly amazing! Things that people in the early 1900’s could have imagined only in their wildest dreams have become reality. Although these technological advances have moved our society forward in many ways, they have profoundly impacted our level of physical activity in a not so positive way.
As technological advances have increased, our physical movement has decreased.
Here are some ideas to overcome obstacles and sneak in more physical activity every day:
- Take the stairs whenever possible.
- Park further away from the entrance of the mall or store. Add in an extra lap or two around the mall while you are shopping.
- Do the housework yourself instead of hiring someone else.
- Work in the garden, mow the lawn (with a push mower, not a riding mower).
- Walk or bike to a destination instead of driving your car.
- Stand up while talking on the telephone.
- Walk the dog.
- Stretch to reach items in high places and squat or bend to reach lower items (using your legs, not your back).
- Purchase some easy to store home equipment, such as an exercise ball, resistance bands, hand weights – use them while you are watching television.
- Go for an early morning walk or after dinner walk, or both.
- Make family time active – go to the park, for a bike ride, bowling, ice skating, etc.